1 a line of approach; "they explored every avenue they could think of"; "it promises to open new avenues to understanding"
2 a wide street or thoroughfare [syn: boulevard]
EtymologyFrench avenue, from Old French avenue, feminine past participle of avenir "approach", from Latin advenire "come to", from ad "to" + venire "come".
- IPA: /ˈævəˌn(j)u/
- SAMPA: /"
Avenue may refer to:
- Avenue (landscape), a straight road with a line of trees or large shrubs running along each side
- Avenue (archaeology), a specialist term in archaeology referring to lines of stones
- A common part of street names, often for roads with lines of trees on either side
- Avenue is an GIS scripting language for ArcView 3.x
- Avenue Road, a major north-south street in Toronto, Ontario
- Electric Avenue (song), an Eddy Grant song which was covered by Refugee Camp All Stars under the title Avenues.
avenue in German: Avenue
avenue in Hungarian: Sugárút
avenue in Japanese: アヴェニュー
Autobahn, US highway, access, aisle, alley, alleyway, ambulatory, aperture, arcade, arterial, arterial highway, arterial street, artery, autoroute, autostrada, belt highway, blind alley, blowhole, boulevard, bypass, byway, camino real, carriageway, causeway, causey, channel, chaussee, chute, circumferential, cloister, close, colonnade, communication, conduit, connection, corduroy road, corridor, county road, court, covered way, crescent, cul-de-sac, dead-end street, debouch, defile, dike, dirt road, door, drag, drive, driveway, egress, emunctory, escape, estuary, exhaust, exit, expressway, ferry, floodgate, flume, ford, freeway, gallery, gravel road, highroad, highway, highways and byways, inlet, interchange, intersection, interstate highway, junction, lane, local road, loophole, main drag, main road, mews, motorway, opening, out, outcome, outfall, outgate, outgo, outlet, overpass, parkway, pass, passage, passageway, path, pave, paved road, pike, place, plank road, pore, port, portico, primary highway, private road, railroad tunnel, right-of-way, ring road, road, roadbed, roadway, route nationale, row, royal road, sally port, secondary road, sluice, speedway, spiracle, spout, state highway, street, superhighway, tap, terrace, thoroughfare, through street, thruway, toll road, township road, track, traject, trajet, tunnel, turnpike, underpass, vent, ventage, venthole, vomitory, way out, weir, wynd